Friday, June 22, 2018

Zank Belt



My friends always have the best worst ideas. The past few years they have been bugging me to keep the Zank SSCX party going all summer. I had resisted. Tried to say no. But it is very hard for me to say no to Kevin O. Very few people can get me as #hyped as he can. So finally I was like sure. Let's unleash all our creative energy on SS MTB and see what can happen. 

I have a long history with SS MTBs. Inglorious for sure. My first SS MTB was a chopped Bridgestone MB-2 that Jeremy Sycip welded track dropouts onto. It was not pretty to say the least. I still remember taking Maurice Tierney riding in the Marin Headlands and him telling me SS Mtn biking was stupid. Well it was and still is. But it is fun. From those humble beginnings the sky was the limit. The pinnacle to me will always be Singlespeed-A-Palooza held down at Stewart State Forest in NY. #RIPSSAP. Since that last SSAP a lot of us have been trying to figure out how to keep that vibe going. If you ever experienced it you know what I am talking about. 

This first year of the Zank SSMTB series is phase one. What is phase two? Who knows we are just hoping to survive phase one! So far the series has been a HUGE success. The races have seen great turnouts and great racing. We have a very close race in the men's for the overall. Have we mentioned the Championship belts? Yes we have TWO insanely cool Champ Belts to award at the end of the series at Barn Burner. We will award Champ belts to the overall female and male racer at Barn Burner. How many race series offer up legit Champ Belts? Huge thanks to Jon Nable for the design work and Nick Maggiore for the inspiration. 

There are two races left. Next up on the Zank SS MTB series is Gnar Weasels. And then the finals at Barn Burner. We hope you can join us and see what the fun is all about. Here are the overall points standings: Zank SS MTB Series Points 


No comments:

Post a Comment