Thursday, June 10, 2021

Pride Ride

 



This Pride Month has a very different vibe. It feels so much more a call to action and a call to keep fighting for rights and freedoms we all assumed were secured. What happened in Arkansas and continues across the rest of the country shows that this fight will never end. Pride is, yes, a celebration but we should never forget what the roots of Pride were. The Stonewall riots which were why we celebrate Pride were a protest against police violence and targeting. With so much on the line we can never forget that. I know people are still beyond angry about what happened in Arkansas. I am. But for the cycling community I think it was a wake up call. Our community in general is a bubble. We are mostly liberal, open-minded and accepting. Not all but most. These anti-trans bills and attacks on BIPOC and LGBTQ+ people has made even those on the fence or maybe who weren't political stand up. Or be judged for their inaction or their mishandling of the situation. 



For me personally, it has been an opportunity to do more. And to help be a better ally. I have been involved in youth coaching for a long time. The issues facing LGBTQ+ youth in sports has always been on my mind. I have always made sure to make the youth sports I was involved in a safe space. This Pride Month I was so excited that my friends at Landry's Bicycles wanted to host an event to support a great local organization that supports LGBTQ+ youth in the Metro Boston area. OUT MetroWest is such a great organization. We will be hosting an event at Landry's Bicycles in Newton this coming Sunday, June 13th. We will have 3 rides heading out at 8 am. We will have a road, mixed terrain/gravel and mountain bike rides available. ALL are welcome. You can register for the ride on Bikereg here Ride for OUT MetroWest. We will have some great OUT MetroWest swag to giveaway and will host a nice after-ride celebration with food and cold beverages at Landry's after the ride.




We will provide a GPX file for self-guided riding or can have ride leaders for those who may want to ride with a group. All three rides will start and finish at Landry's in Newton. 

The Road Ride will be a nice route through Dover and back featuring many of the routes used on groups rides in the area

The Mixed Terrain/Gravel Ride will be a great adventure ride utilizing the Sudbury Aqueduct and Bay Circuit Trail. A cross or gravel bike is recommended and we suggest at least 33mm tires. 35-40mm tubeless is probably the best option. There are a few technical sections that may be better hiked or walked up or down. But it only adds to the adventure! There are coffee shops and convenient stores along the route to fill bottles or stop to enjoy a nice break 

The Mountain Bike Ride will leave the shop and head to Cutler where we will ride the flow trails and boardwalks. It will be a fun MTB ride with some tech but nothing too technical 

One of the riders I have always been impressed with is Jessica Beck. I met her and her family at Night Weasels a couple of years ago. I do results and podiums for NW. As I was putting up the results for the PRO Women a really nice mom and dad asked me if there was a prize for the top placing junior girl. I said of course! When I met Jessica I was so stoked to hear her story and to be a small part of supporting her and her family. She and her family have been on my mind since. And when I saw Grimpeur Bros was doing a Jessica's Pride Roast to directly support Jessica I was super stoked. Please support Jessica and her family by buying some of this great coffee!


There is so much work to still be done. And as much as I am filled with anger that in the year 2021 people are still pushing through hate filled legislation that will hurt kids and their families I am energized and inspired by the actions of so many of my friends and advocates in cycling. I hope you can join us this Sunday to celebrate Pride and to support LGBTQ+ youth. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out at velocb@mac.com 







No comments:

Post a Comment