Friday, March 6, 2020

Zank Love


The term "Brother from another Mother" is a highly overused term. In the case of Mike Zanconato and myself it is 100% accurate. I have known him for over a decade and it amazes me that we are basically the same person. Ok he is younger, better looking and a much better cook than I am. But other than that we are like Dopplegangers of each other. That kind of describes my actual brother in a way so again the quote is spot on. He is one of those friends that even if you haven't seen them in forever you don't even miss a beat. You just pick up from where you left off. Like a brother. It is embarrassing to say out loud when we rode together last. I honestly can't remember. Which is sad. But kids, jobs, life it all gets in the way. So when a window opened up for us to ride together I was like "hell yes!" His amazing wife Rebecca joined us. They are the coolest couple. Both are so nice and so great to ride with.


We met out near their neck of the woods and rode a spot I have never ridden before. It reminded me of Adam's Farm a bit but much more interesting. It has been so great being back on the mtn bike and riding with folks. Honestly, it is my favorite social riding right now. Anyone who knows me knows I love weird dirtbag gravel the most. But it isn't really the best for a social ride. The coffee stops are great but when you are on the road you have to be so attentive. And in the woods on a CX bike again, you have to be lazer focused or bad things will happen. On a modern mtn bike you can laugh and smash into stuff and hike a bike a bit and no one cares. I think that is why mtn biking got so popular in the old days. It was just a ton of fun. I honestly feel so lucky to have so many rad friends. But Mike has given me so much. He is the one who got me into single speeding. Yes, I have come to my senses at my old age and have given up the SS MTB for a geared FS bike. I don't honestly know how I ever rode a SS MTB! The fact that Mike and the crew raced 24 Hours of Great Glen on them still boggles my mind. The fact that our lap times were all basically the same even though I was on a geared bike tells you how strong Mike and the Zank Crew are. Those early years racing 24HOGG and SSapalooza really framed up my whole identity as a mtn biker. And made us a wolf pack. 



When we started the SSCX series it was only natural that Zank would be the title sponsor. But how many title sponsors race the series named after them, put up a custom built frame as a raffle prize and make custom trophies for the overall series leaders? I can think of only one other builder who would do that. Not surprising that before Mike the guy who built my bikes was Paul Sadoff of Rock Lobster. Mike and Paul are a lot alike in lots of ways. Build sick purpose built race machines that people LOVE. The amount of Zank SSCX bikes you see in the series now speaks volumes to how much both Mike and his bikes are loved.


The Zank series has brought a whole community together in a way that really is beyond explanation. I mean having been the main #hype person I kind of get how it happened but honestly it has a life of its own. And Zank and the whole crew are really the engine that made it happen. Obviously there is a whole LEGION of racers, promoters and rad people who had a huge hand in its success but it all comes back to Mikey and his amazing bikes and love of all things SSCX. It has been amazing being a small part of this. And seeing so many people gravitate to it fills me with such joy.


And as much as I hate the association Mike has made single speed great again. Not that it wasn't great before but it was a niche of a niche. Now I love being involved in niches. But when you can grow and expand and be welcoming to everyone? That is worth doing. We certainly have ruffled a few feathers over the years but the fact that we are now drawing some of the bigger fields at the races speaks volumes to how inclusive we are and how fun the racing and scene is. People need to have fun and feel part of a group. Especially these days when everything seems so broken and divided. If SSCX brings people together I can rally around that.


Riding with Mike on his local trails was a blast. I crashed more than I have in a while and hike a biked more than I have in a while but it was one of the most fun rides I have been on for sure. We chatted and caught up. Frankly I would rather ride in the woods with a good friend than about anything these days. As we came around a corner I saw a memorial to a good friend and teammate. We lost Jeff Robert three years ago. It still doesn't seem possible. Zank and I sat there for a minute and chatted about Jeff and life. It really was just what I needed. Hold your family and friends close. And I know it is a cliche to say enjoy every minute but try to. This ride was like going to Dirt Church as my friend Gewilli would say. Thanks Mikey for all you do and most of all for being my brother from another mother....



No comments:

Post a Comment