Wednesday, September 6, 2017

3Cross Kick Off Party


3Cross Brewing Company in Worcester is a new sponsor for the Zank SSCX Series. They came on board last season and became much more than a sponsor. I take sponsorship very seriously. I often call it more support than sponsorship as I like to think of it as a two way street and a relationship/partnership. Honestly it is what I love most about this series. All our sponsors are our good friends. Last year 3Cross came in big time. And from the first race you could tell it was going to be a great fit. Both Jessica Howland and Dave Howland the owners of 3Cross are cyclists. They came out to the races and raced and hung out and it was awesome. The Zank crew all live very close to 3Cross in Worcester. The Zip Tie Fairy Lesli Cohen is great friends with Jess and Dave and would always tell me about their great rides. So it seemed only natural to have a kick off party and ride for the series at 3Cross. 3Cross was stoked about the idea and next thing we knew a great new tradition in the Zank Series was born!


Jess and Dave curated the route. I honestly didn't know what to expect. I kind of assumed we would be doing a bit of an urban adventure. Heavy on the pavement and cool factor but not a lot of trails. Wow. Was I wrong. We met at 3Cross around 1. It was my first time to the Brewery and I was blown away. It is a great location and the vibe inside is so awesome. Bikes everywhere. Classic Klein hanging from the ceiling. An old Yo Eddy. Lion of Flanders flag hanging in the corner. My type of place. We did what bike racers do and sort of mingled around. Got our kit on exchanged hugs. Checked out each others bikes etc. Once everyone arrived we all got together and did something I don't think I have ever done. We all got in a circle and Rebekah Weiner one of the ride leaders asked each person to introduce themselves and to answer a question. The question posed was "what would be your dream job" The answers were pretty great. And it was a really nice way to get everyone to know each other a bit more before heading out on an adventure ride together. It certainly diffused some of the nervous energy that all bike riders have before heading out on a ride.


We split into two groups. Jason led the group I was in that was around 15 riders. And Dave and Jess led the other group. Like all group adventure rides the two groups would morph into each other depending on flats, crashes, and other shenanigans. Honestly I still haven't processed what went down on this ride. Like I said I was expecting an urban alley cat type of ride. What I got was basically Feats of Strength like we did in Philly years ago at SSCXWC. Worcester has incredible riding. Like incredible. Who knew? The most legit technical CX trails I have ever ridden on my CX bike. Full CXenduro. And honestly I have never seen CX riders this smooth and confident on tech on a CX bike. I mean I ride with very talented riders all the time. But I have never seen anything like this. Jason was a perfect ride leader. Funny. Smooth. Fearless. Bloody. And on a SSCX. Thank god I brought my RoboZank on this ride. So Worcester has hills? Again, who knew? Lots and lots of techy climbing.



The first technical trail section (which in hindsight was a buff trail in comparison) things got a bit exciting to say the least. It had a great little descent that took its first toll. Kevin O flatted on some gnar. I assumed he was fine. The group held up and waited but I decided to ride back just to make sure he had it sorted. Along the way I bumped into Dave. We had a great chat and then we went looking for Kevin. Kevin had been absorbed by the other group. We all said hi and then zoomed off to regroup. We all had a nice chat along the way. I felt so at home with these riders. I can't think of anything that brings people from such different backgrounds and experiences together like the bike. I certainly knew a handful of the folks on the ride. But it was amazing how the whole group from the first moment was in synch.


We split into two groups again. When riding trails it really is important to try to keep group size to a minimum. Its better for all parties involved. What I love about riding CX bikes on trails is that you really have to think a bit more about everything. Sure a modern CX bike with fat tubeless tires and hydro disc brakes expands what you can ride you still are on a CX bike. The limits become real apparent fast. What I loved about Jason's feedback on the ride was that he would have us stop pretty often to regroup. Then tell us what was coming up. I especially loved that each time he would say "ok so the real technical stuff is coming up" I would just laugh inside thinking that wasn't the technical stuff?


Jason didn't lie either. The ride started out on pretty smooth flow trails and got progressively harder and more technical. This was actually really smart. We all got pretty loosened up by the time we hit the real tech. I mean the final decent we rode was hands down the rowdiest trail I have ever ridden on a CX bike. It would have been challenging on a mtn bike. I was right behind my friend Jed at the top. Probably too close as he hit something and then ended up surfing his top tube into the trees. How he didn't die is honestly beyond me. It was one of those crashes you see firsthand where everything slows down and you get tunnel vision and you think "oh shit, this is not good" Jed somehow found the softest trees to smash into. And laughed the whole crash off.


After making sure Jed was ok I got back up to speed and starting bouncing off roots, rocks and god knows what. As I am coming in way too hot I see Chris stopped at the top of a rock wall. Now I pride myself on being pretty technically savvy on my CX bike. RoboZank has certainly upped my confidence. That bike was purpose built for riding techy trails. But this wall looks nuts. I stop and look over. Yeah, full send rock wall. Of course as Chris and I are contemplating our deaths some local guy just comes flying past us and drops down the wall. Laughing. In a fluro pink jersey. So many people are laughing as they send it or crash. Some poor rider just ends up smashing through trees like some Sasquatch.


We all regroup at the bottom of the trail and just talk story. The list of people who rode that rock wall is impressive. All did it on CX bikes. Some on cantis. Rides like this prove once again that the cross bike is the perfect do everything machine. Can you ride everything? Well after this ride that is debatable and swings toward yes. But guess what if you are freaked out by something you can walk. I walked a ton of stuff. Zero shame in that.


One thing I really love about these types of rides is that they bring so many different types of cyclists together. Racers, adventure riders, mtbers, randoneers, its just a whole melting pot. Honestly I prefer these rides over an actual CX race. Big time. I love CX racing it is a wonderful hotmess. And it can be a great way to hang out with friends etc. But I would rather ride with friends for 2-4 hours and then hang out over a beer at a cool spot than race for 45 then everyone bails. The ride/fun factor ratio for me wins on these rides every single time. It also is a wonderful way to meet new cyclists, ride in an area you never would have even known existed before and expand what you can do on the bike. I was so impressed with Worcester and the cycling scene. And having a hub like 3Cross to have rides and fun roll out of is a gift. Dave and Jess are doing right. And the beer is fantastic!


 The ride and party were a benefit for the Greater Worcester Land Trust. And you could tell from the ride that a lot has gone into both preserving these trails and turning them into something very special. We raised over $300. Huge thanks to 3Cross, Jess and Dave, Jason, Rebekah, Lesli and all who came out to ride. HUGE thanks to those who sponsored the ride: 3Cross, Jake's Old Fashioned Ice Cream & Bakeshop, Vittoria, Cross Propz, Mad Alchemy, Mighty Leaf Tea and Kevin for making amazing Coozies. All in all a fantastic time. If you can join 3Cross for one of their Thursday night rides. You will not be disappointed.


Hope to see a ton of you this weekend. We have a double kick off weekend. First race at Hartford on Saturday and Quad Sunday. It is on like Donkey Kong my friends!

1 comment:

  1. If those trails are CX bike acceptable we could put on an AMAZING and EXHAUSTING loop in this area. Like, super duper brutally hard. I need to ponder...

    ReplyDelete