Monday, December 7, 2009

The Sweet Spot


12, 24, 5, 3, 2, 1.... 

Its all about the numbers on this monday with one week left in this cross season! But lest we get to far ahead of ourselves do not I repeat do not miss the Ice Weasels Cometh next saturday! It is going to be the perfect end to an incredible season of cross! On to the numerology!

12-is the number of cross races I've done this season. Pretty light by some peoples estimation but really my sweet spot. Next week will bump it to 14 assuming I can do (literally) back to back races at Ice Weasels. I am kind of going with the mullet of doubling up. Business in the front (master 35+) and party in the back (singlespeed!) We'll see how it goes...
24-Pretty much my SPOT in the 45+ Verge races. Excepting for two races this season where I uncorked a real gem I would slot into 24th no matter how deep I dug. I could be racing out of my mind and bam 24. Its a good spot and no complaints as I thought I was going to get destroyed when they eliminated the 3/4 category this year. But you know what? 45+ straight up has been great this year. I seriously do not miss that 3/4 category at all...

5-Years racing cross...ok its really 10 but that just makes me sound like a loser. How the hell could I be racing cross for 10 yrs and still suck this bad? 'Cause cross is really friggin hard that is why. And you need to actually learn HOW to do it. Not just train to be fast. Training is for losers. Learning to actually race cross and be fast is the sweet spot. Ok so I call it 5 because that is how many years I have been racing cross on the East coast. That 5 years racing in Norcal was basically a beer fueled excuse to party on 2 wheels...

3-That is the days of the week I get to train. Eyebob thinks all I do is drink capucinno's with Adam Myerson and ride all day. Christ nothing could be further from the truth. I am on dad duty 24/7. I train 1 -2 hr tues, weds, and thurs...real specific like a cross killah...but that is all I get in. So I guess it could be 6 as well...

2-Hopefully that is the amount of days on the weekend I race. In reality I only got 2 doubles in and they were sweet. Sterling and NBX...

1-One good bike. I am a 45+ masters racer I do not need two bikes. Ctodd and Mike Z taught me that last year and I took it to heart. My one bike is probably better than your 2 bikes. Sorry but its true. And I have more wheels than an 18 -wheeler...well not quite but close and they are pimptastic in their FMB goodness...
Yes I realize there are two almost identical cross bikes hanging from those hooks but the Rock Lobster is THE race bike. The Sycip rose from the ashes to be a worthy whip for the single speed race at Ice Weasels cause I am a baller...

Thank you to everyone for making this season incredible! I have made so many friends new and old. So many incredible experiences. I learned more this year than the last five and really just had more fun than should be legal in a state with as many blue laws as Massachusetts!

Hup Hup see you at Ice Weasels and yes there probably most likely will be a ton of Hupcakes....come and get a few!

3 comments:

  1. I'm still thinking that you have grown a mustache but are afraid to post about it. Oh, and I'm sure you also have time to sit around and re-read Ayn Rand.

    Hipster indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I hate to burst your bubble...once a townie always a townie. I am as much a hipster as say Jerry....although he has a bitchin pickup truck and I drive a mini-van..

    If I knew you had such a jones to see me with facial hair for the right price I could have taken your cash $$$ and grown a sensible playoff beard by now but I am definitely not a mustache guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish i had a hose to clean my bike...

    ReplyDelete